Lately, we went to a few one-off sales on books and such. We bought several books (mainly for my boy) but I did manage to get some cook books for myself too. As the sales are not frequent - they were through the newspapers ads & catalogues, etc. I guess not everyone knew about it. Of course the sales are over now but I still think its worth talking about it as I found the sales very worthwhile & offered a good variety of books, at very good discounted prices.
The warehouse sales were :
1. Conducted by Times Bookstore (I think)
Its at a warehouse area (Ang Mokio Industrial Park), not convenient if you dont' drive. Tonnes of books strewn around but a lot of shelves were neatly arranged with a good range offered. Some of the kids books didn't seem so "brand new" but if you are a keen book lover like me & have compared prices of same books outside, you can tell that its a real bargain. Maybe the books are excess stocks or returned books ... I don't know but it doesn't really bother me. A bit of crease or "dent" here & there but the books are as good as new & totally CHEAP. I got a few good books for Ryan. He loves the one with the touchy-feely one - it has duck "feathers", dog & cat "fur" etc.
P.S : The ad on the right is from Page One Bookstore (a different company), offering 3 children's books for the price of 2.
2. Popular Sale at Singapore Expo
I heard from my brother that the Expo Sale conducted by Popular was pretty good last year before the school reopened for 2009. So when I saw it in the papers that they were having another one soon, I pestered hubby to bring me there to take look. Again it was a good stop. We went in the morning as I told hubby - "there won't be so many people in the morning" ... duh! was I wrong! We were there by 10.30am or so & there was already a huge crowd at the Expo. Most people seem to be there for the Adidas & Robinson's Sale. The Popular Sale didn't start out as crowded but it became so ... as the morning turned afternoon.
We bought several books for my baby boy & even managed to get some stationery too. The books were marked down & they even had mounts of books at 50 cents or a dollar or two. As I wan't interested in any of the titles, I decided to concentrate on books that will add value to Ryan's creativity & increase his knowledge. Overall it was a good trip. I will definitely try to go to their next Expo sale, if I get the chance.
Eventhough these sales are well over, I wanted to highlight them because they were worth the effort & time. If you are a book lover like me, you will definitely love going through the tonnes of books, hoping to find a treasure or two. Maybe you can look out for them in the future ... I surely will!

No comments:
Post a Comment